Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lil' Cheddar Meatloaves

I got this recipe off of a frugal community I belong to called Frugal Families. I made it for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Although there were a few changes I would make.(noted in the recipe) Oh and it actually didn't take all that long.

Lil' Cheddar Meatloaves Recipe #59056

We have given up all other meat loaf recipes for this one. I love the individual servings and every bite has the yummy catsup sauce where in "regular" meat loaf it's just a small strip on top! With the smaller loaves it also makes the cooking time a bit quicker. This recipe came from '99 TOH magazine but I added the rubbed sage for some extra flavor. Enjoy! by DDW
1 hour 15 min prep SERVES 8

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4oz)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon rubbed sage (optional) (I used thyme I was out of sage still just as good)
1 lb lean ground beef
2/3 cup catsup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar ( I wouldn't use so much it was waayy too sweet for me, Erick liked it though)
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

In a bowl, beat the egg and milk. Stir in cheese, oats, onion, salt and rubbed sage. Add beef and mix well. (It will seem runny at first but will thicken up as you mix.) Shape into 8 equal sized loaves (oval/egg shaped) and place in a greased 9X13X2" baking dish.

Sauce: Combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard. Spoon over each loaf so they are all covered in the sauce. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

We have some left over that I'm going to freeze into homemade TV dinners for lunches and when I have to work late.

No comments: